Sunday, April 12, 2009
I’ve just lost 2 days going completely bananas over a performance issue that I could not explain.
I’ve got this Dell R300 rack server that runs Windows Server 2008 that I dedicate to running IIS and SQL Server 2008, mostly for development purposes.
In my previous blog entry, I was trying some benchmark to compare the performance of Access and SQL Server using INT and GUID and getting some strange results.
This is a simple technical weblog where I dump thoughts and experiences from my computer-related world.
It is mostly focused on software development but I also have wider interests and dabble in architecture, business and system administration.
More About me…
My (sporadically active) StackOVerflow account
Most Recent Posts
- VBA: Unicode Strings and the Windows API
- Access: using .Net strings in VBA for fun and profit
- VBA for 32 and 64 bit systems
- Programming podcasts
- Office 2010 SP1 and Access 2010 Runtime SP1 are broken
- Admin: Linux file server performance boost (ext4 version)
- Admin: Linux file server performance boost (ext3 version)
- Access: checking blank variables
- A story about exceptional service
- Access: Run-time Error 3155 ODBC insert on a linked table failed
- Access vs SQL Server: some stats (part 1)
- Sysadmin: SQL server performance madness
- Access: building 'upsizable' applications.
- MS Access: upsizing to SQL Server 2008
- Technical ebooks: some publishers don't get it
- Sysadmin: Multiple ISP firewall - The setup
- Sysadmin: file and folder synchronisation
- Sysadmin: Recovering deleted Windows partitions
- .Net: Working with OpenOffice 3
- Windows 2008 / Windows 7 x64: The 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' provider is not registered on the local machine.
- Sysadmin: Macbook Pro, after the honeymoon
- SysAdmin: Installing Windows Server 2008 x64 on a Macbook Pro
- Linux: AutoCAD DWG to SVG preview conversion.
- MS Access: checking network paths without freezing your application
- Microsoft Access
- Linux sysadmin: a short RAID trouble-shooting story
- MS Access: Enhanced Message Box Replacement
- MS Access: Restarting and compacting the database programmatically
- MS Access: Changing the Color Scheme programmatically
- MS Access: Modal Dialogs with Transparent Backgrounds (redux)
- "Apple's OS Edge Is a Threat to Microsoft". Really?
- WPF and Silverlight: it will take a while...
- MS SQL Server Express: a good choice?
- People, mind your dates... plz?
- Thank you spammers...
- MediaWiki: Formating and colouring Code
- Chosing a development platform
- SysAdmin: When your computer becomes forgetful
- Software: Cheap Microsoft Licenses
- .Net: The limits of using Reflection
- WordPress: Formating and colouring Code
- XPO: eXpress Persistent Objects
- What's your Star Trek profile?
- The Importance of Conditions of Sales
- You Aren't Gonna Need It
- All sites won't work with IE7
- WordPress: Fixing PNG transparency issues in IE
- SlickRun: Desktop command-line launcher
- Web Design